Help, I’m wearing my orthodontic retainer, but my teeth are moving!

Posted by Dr. Jorgensen on February 24th, 2011

iStock_000010219097XSmallThe most exciting day for an orthodontic patient is the day that their braces come off. Getting a smile that is as close to ideal as possible can be a long and involved process, and everyone, including the orthodontist, wants that smile to last the rest of the patient’s lifetime. But is that realistic?

Believe it or not, although the teeth may look great on the day the braces are removed, they will look better and be healthier a few months after the braces have come off. One reason for this is that the gum tissues, which suffer during treatment because brushing and flossing are so much more difficult, will actually get healthier after the braces are gone. A second reason is that with the wires and brackets off, the teeth can “settle” and come together more evenly and naturally. This settling is desirable on the side and back teeth, but not up front where these changes would be noticeable.

To keep the amount of movement up front to a minimum, all patients in our practice are given retainers the day their braces come off. As we’ve discussed in previous articles, there are many styles of orthodontic retainers, each with strengths and weaknesses. They all have one thing in common however. None of them can prevent all changes that occur as the mouth ages. Just as our eyesight, our hairline, and our figure changes with age, so do our teeth.

Changes in the alignment of your teeth will occur for a variety of reasons. First, if you are still growing, your genetic instructions (DNA) were not changed by our treatment and they still influence how you’ll “turn out.” Second, oral habits (where you rest your tongue or if you clench your teeth) will continue to put forces on the teeth that may cause them to move. And third, the normal wear that occurs when you use your teeth will require that your teeth adjust their positions so they can still come together. For these reasons you should expect that your teeth will continue to change after your braces come off.

So what is the take-home message? If you want to keep the natural changes that occur to a minimum, wear your retainers daily as prescribed for as long as you want your teeth to stay straight. You will need to accept some natural change, but there is no reason why your teeth can’t continue looking awesome for the rest of your life!

474 comments so far in response to “Help, I’m wearing my orthodontic retainer, but my teeth are moving!”

1. Kayley says:

Hello, I got my braces removed about a year and a half ago. I had a permanent retainer placed on my upper teeth but I still feel like they are moving as I’ve noticed that some gaps are appearing. Is there anything I can do to close these gaps and re-align my teeth?

• There are several options including a new retainer, a series of clear aligners, or some more time in braces. Knowing which one is right for you is the job of an experienced orthodontist.

2. Holly says:

I got my braces off just over three weeks ago. My orthodontist told me to wear them day and night for three weeks, then just nightly. However, I took my retainer out today around 5:30 and put them back in at 9:00 and they felt really tight. Is that okay? Should I take the retainer out all day tomorrow or gradually stage it by taking them off an hour earlier each day?

• Everyone is different and you’ll have to find what works best for you. Please understand that your teeth are going to settle or relax a little when you go to part time retainer wear. The key is to keep those movements to a minimum.

3. Sandy says:

I wore braces for two years, braces removed April 2014. On that day and my 2 subsequent check-ins I have commented on how my left side molars come together but the right side do not. I was advised to not wear my retainers (I do have glued on wire ones on top and bottom, front) as we wanted to see how the teeth finally end up. I was told to focus chewing on the right side, and so I have. In February I go in for another check-in. I want my teeth to come together on the right side, so discomfort can subside, my left side won’t be over-used, because I’ve asked my ortho to help me with this, and because I paid thousands for my braces and feel this should be done, and correctly. Can you advise me on what I can say at my Feb 2015 visit so my Orthodontist hears me and helps correct the ‘side-bite’ issues. Thank you in advance!

• I am not aware of any research which supports the idea that chewing on one side will cause the bite to improve. If your bite doesn’t improve by your next appointment, you need to discuss all options that are available including putting the braces back on until the bite comes together appropriately.

4. Laura says:

Hi, i had my braces off about 5 years now, and i have a retainer on my bottom teeth and wear a plastic retainer at night for the top teeth. About a year and a half ago i noticed a tooth toward right bottom teeth move outwards very slightly- i immediately went to my orthodontist and all he said was that teeth will always move around despite the retainers due to growth and that theres nothing i can do about it.

Now, it has gotten considerably worse to the point that that area seems to be edging out quite obviously and the bottom teeth just looks slanted from the left- not straight at all. Also, my top and bottom teeth do not clench together properly now. i saw him again 2 days ago and he said all he could think of was that my tongue muscles were affecting it and to train my tongue. i researched this and found something called a tongue thrust, if that is the problem, should the orthodontist have recognised this way before? even during braces stage? i feel quite angry that i haven’t been told anything and have only vaguely been told to train my tongue when it has already gotten this bad.

• Laura, your orthodontist cannot prevent all tooth movement any more than a plastic surgeon can prevent wrinkles and sagging. Don’t alienate your orthodontist just because he gave his opinion on why your teeth are moving. Some people don’t even believe that tongues move teeth when you swallow. You may need additional treatment to get your teeth back to perfect just like a person who gets a face-lift may need a revision later on. Your orthodontist didn’t miss anything nor could he have done anything more than give you retainers after your treatment to prevent movement.

5. Shannon says:

Hello, I have worn my retainer religiously until I lost it a couple years ago and I had perfect teeth after getting my braces off (I used to have awful teeth and wore braces for 8 years). I’ve had them off for about 20 years and they have started shifting in the last year since I lost my retainer. I used to have a terrible overbite, now one of my front teeth seems to be going under the other and my bite is off. I got a new retainer from my dentist (not an orthodontist) which he assured me worked better than the old one and it’s the clear retainer which I read above don’t work. My teeth are getting worse. Is this not a real retainer? I’m freaking out. What can be done? I can’t afford a whole new set of braces! I feel scammed.

• Remember that retainers only “retain” or hold. They won’t make your teeth straighter. If you are wearing it religiously and the teeth are still changing, talk to your orthodontist. I don’t think he is trying to scam you.

6. Jamie says:

Hi there,

I have been reading a lot of comments above regarding teeth moving whilst wearing a retainer.
    I just wanted to clarify a concern I have about this, because as far as I am aware, if you wear your retainer daily and it still fits you, that is surely a sign that your teeth have not moved, correct? Otherwise how would they still fit?

• This is true to a point. Your teeth are ALWAYS changing no matter what you do. There will always be a degree of movement even if your retainers fit. The retainers are the best way to minimize this movement.