Can’t I just get orthodontic braces on my bottom teeth?

Posted by Dr. Jorgensen on March 25th, 2011

My teeth were perfect until my wisdom teeth came in. Now the lower ones are all messed up. Can’t I just get braces on my lower teeth and put them back where they were?

Single arch treatment is possible… under the right circumstances. The determining factor is the relationship between the lower and the upper front teeth (commonly referred to as “the bite.”) The depth of the bite as well as the amount of “overbite” both figure in to the decision.

When crooked or overlapping teeth are straightened with braces, they move forward. If you have and overbite before treatment, aligning the crooked bottom teeth will improve it. If your front teeth come together in an edge-to-edge or underbite relationship at the start of treatment, treating the lower teeth only may actually make matters worse. As the lower teeth move forward, the front teeth may not come together at all after treatment. Although the teeth may look straighter, the bite may be worse.

One of the most common reasons the teeth get crooked with age is the deepening of the bite. As the backs of the upper teeth “push down” on the lower front teeth, they tend to push them back making them overlap. In these cases there is usually no clearance between the backs of the upper teeth and the fronts of the lowers. Without clearance, it is nearly impossible to realign the lower front teeth without repositioning the uppers too. Space between the upper and lower teeth is necessary because the lower teeth will move forward as they are straightened.

One option that can be considered as an alternative to full upper and lower braces in the case of lower crowding is interproximal reduction (IPR), also known as air-rotor stripping (ARS) or slenderizing. Using thin diamond disks or files, small amounts of enamel are polished away from the sides of the crooked teeth providing the room needed for their alignment. Teeth altered in this way don’t need to move forward as they are aligned.

In more severe cases of lower crowding, the removal of a single front tooth may be considered. This is an attractive option if one of the lower teeth is badly worn or there are problems with the overlying gums or bone. Eliminating a tooth that has lost its support can actually be a blessing if keeping it will require extensive gum grafting and aggressive slenderizing of perfectly normal teeth.

16 comments so far in response to “Can’t I just get orthodontic braces on my bottom teeth?”

1. srinivas says:

My upper teeth are a bit forward and having lower teeth crowded. Only lower braces has been put.I was told upper braces will be put after 3 months until lower teeth come into right places.

Is it right option. I m a bit worried about this? Could you please tell me?

• It is not abnormal to put the upper and lower braces on at different times. Sometimes it is because one arch is more severe than the other. Other times it is because one arch is preventing movement in the other. I’ve also placed braces in only one arch on occasion just because doing both at the same time would have been too hard for a particular patient. Whatever the reason, you have nothing to worry about.

2. Karen Sanchez says:

Okay I used to have braces for 3 years. I got my retainers and all but recently I’ve lost only my bottom ones. I didn’t get a new retainer until January of this year. It resulted that my bottom teeth got crooked but not so badly. I just want to get bottom braces again, can it be done? I have an overbite so I’m worried. Please help.

• The generic answer is yes, but it depends upon the size and position of the teeth. Great question for your local orthodontist who can look at your case up close and personal.

3. Mimi says:

One of my bottom teeth has a metal cap and doesn’t have an adult tooth under it. The dentist said I could get the tooth pulled and get braces on my bottom teeth to pull some forward would that work?

4. Thomas says:

My front teeth completely overlap my bottom teeth when i bite down so that no bottom teeth are visible. My teeth are all straight but all my upper teeth slightly aim inwards and so do my bottom ones. In comparison all my molars are pretty small compared to my front teeth. Just wondering what procedure would be used to fix this because if my front and bottom teeth aligned my molars wouldn’t connect? Place in bigger molars then braces on the front teeth?

• The condition you are describing is called a deep bite. It happens because your lower jaw is much smaller than your upper. Your orthodontist will align the upper and lower arches, make them level, and then correct the overbite using one of many available techniques (depending upon the severity of your problem). Correction of an overbite like yours may be as easy as rubber bands or as invasive as jaw surgery. Only your local orthodontist can tell you what is appropriate in your case.

5. sara says:

i have my lower teeth little bit crowded.. i went to the dentist and he said i can put braces only on the bottom arch by ARS.. so was he right? can i only put braces on my bottom teeth only?

6. Chris Andrews says:

I’m 59 & the backs of my upper front teeth have been worn away by the lowers to the point that they’re so thin as to be chipping away. I’ve been told that I need braces in order to create enough space so that the uppers can be porcelain crowned and no longer hit the lowers. Considering my age, as well as the fact that even when smiling, my teeth have always barely been visible, would gold crowns be of help as far as the clearance issue? Function is far more important to me than aesthetics. Thanks

• The problem you are describing is called a deep overbite, a deep bite, or an impinging deep bite. The problem here is that because of the position of the teeth, the dentist doesn’t have enough space for the crowns. The purpose of the braces would be to position the teeth so that there will be room to place the crowns. The cosmetic improvement will be a fringe benefit.

7. Ellona says:

Hi Dr. Jorgensen. I recently got two small cavities filled on my top left back molars. I felt that the filling was high so I went back to get my bite adjusted. After that being fixed, I now notice that a few of my front bottom teeth are rubbing on my top front teeth when my jaw is closed. This is very uncomfortable and it’s something that never previously happened. I went back a second time to get this looked at and my dentist tested my bite, said it was fine, and just said it’s a mystery why those bottom teeth would now be hitting the backs of the top teeth now. At this point I’m not so much interested in what caused this so much as I’m interested in how I can get this fixed. Do you have any suggestions for what treatment could fix those bottom teeth from rubbing against the top teeth? Thank you!

• I would recommend an orthodontic evaluation by a specialist who can give you a second opinion. Since it only started after your new restorations, my guess is that the new problem is related.

8. Claribel says:

When i got my braces off i lost my retainers and i got new ones after like 3 months and my bottom teeth got crooked. I read about the invisalign treatment and i wanted to know if its better to get braces again or invisalign and how expensive would it be if its only for my bottom teeth? Thank you!!