Can Orthodontic Treatment Stop My Jaw from Popping and Clicking?

Posted by Dr. Jorgensen on June 10th, 2011

Every May our office sees an increase in the number of phone calls from patients worried because their jaws have begun to pop or click. They want to be seen by the orthodontist assuming this is related to their bite. What is the real relationship between the TMJ and orthodontics?

Following a landmark lawsuit in 1987 where a Michigan patient received a legal judgment against her orthodontist for giving her “TMJ,” hundreds of studies and millions of dollars have been spent by the scientific community to find if there really is a relationship between orthodontic treatment and the health of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). Obviously this would be an important finding for doctors and patients alike. These studies have examined the different types of bad bite as well as the various approaches to treatment to show any cause and effect relationships.

Time and time again scientific studies have supported the conclusion that orthodontics neither causes nor cures TMJ disorders. Except for two exceptions, malocclusion in general cannot be linked to a higher prevalence of joint problems. The two exceptions are a posterior cross bite that causes the jaw to shift to one side upon closure, and an anterior open bite where all the biting force is on the back teeth only and the front teeth do not touch at all. Scientific studies have been unable to uncover any links between the use of headgear, extractions, rubber bands, oral surgery, or any other treatments and TMJ problems.

There are many conditions that can cause pain in the area of the TMJ that are not related to the teeth at all. Some are serious like degenerative arthritis and cancer. Others are related to functional habits (like clenching and grinding). While cross bites and open bites may be linked to joint problems, not all bad bites result in TMJ pain. Most patients who come into an orthodontic office have “bad bites,” and yet very few report TMJ pain. On the other hand, many patients who report severe TMJ pain often have ideal bites. This simple observation supports the scientific studies that have separated the fields of TMJ and orthodontics. If all bad bites had TMJ symptoms and all great bites never had any pain, a direct relationship would be defendable.

Jaw joint issues can involve muscles, ligaments, tendons, and/or the cartilages associated with the joints. Many times these problems are due to the anatomy of the patient’s joints. Some folks’ joints just make noises or move roughly because of their shape and size. It is not uncommon for patients’ ankles to pop when they stand up, but rarely do they seek treatment for that noise. A pop in the jaw joint however is much more noticeable because it occurs close to the ear where the patient can hear it.

So what do we know about TMJ noises and what causes them? First of all, the jaw joints are like many other joints in the body. There are two bones that come together with a piece of padding (a disc made of cartilage) between them. The disc is held between the bones by a ligament from behind and a muscle from the front. As the joint functions, the muscle pulls on the disc to keep it centered between the two bones. When it works perfectly, it functions almost silently.

If the ligament is loose so that it doesn’t hold the disc in the right place however, the disc travels a little too far upon opening and then suddenly pop back into place when the ligament finally applies enough tension. If the muscle pulls too hard on the front of the disc, it can also hold it too far forward until the ligament ultimately pulls it back into place. Ligaments can be naturally loose, get loose during childbirth (when all the ligaments in the body relax), or become damaged by trauma. The muscles pull too much if they have been busy chewing (gum, bagels, etc.), clenching, or grinding. Clenching or grinding can actually cause spasms in the chewing muscles which can be painful as well as pull the disc forward.

Nearly half of American women report they have had a pop or a click in their jaws while about one-fourth of the men report the same. While some popping may not be related to an identifiable event, many patients know exactly what sets it off. Studies have indicated that more than 50% of TMJ symptoms are attributable to stress alone. That helps explain the rise in calls we get during the last two weeks of the school year. Almost without fail our patients identify that their symptoms arrived about the same time as their finals and associated end-of-year projects. While there definitely are TMJ conditions that warrant treatment, most popping and clicking is not serious. Sometimes just recognizing the relationship between these noises and their stress level is all that is needed to get a patient on the road to recovery.

18 comments so far in response to “Can Orthodontic Treatment Stop My Jaw from Popping and Clicking?”

1. cassandra says:

I found your article very informative. I am experiencing this exact situation. Not much pain but constant clicking and popping when I open my mouth too wide or chew any food. I used to have braces so I feel my teeth are pretty straight but my bite feels off. There’s definitely a disc or cartilage issue going on. My question is, I’ve heard Invisalign can help this issue, my main concern is the noise since the pain isn’t excruciating. Would you recommend Invisalign or is there another treatment you’d recommend? Thank you for your time.

• Invisalign is the trade name for clear aligners that can be used to straighten the teeth. Neither they or braces can eliminate the click in your jaws if it is an anatomical problem. Don’t spend your money on either if your teeth are not crooked.

2. Ariana Dee says:

Hello, I’ve had braces for almost 3 years now, and about a year ago I started to wear rubberbands. Nothing happened, my jaw was fine until recently. My orthodontist changed the thickness and the position of my rubber bands about a month ago and recently my jaw started to pop on my right side when I chew. The popping doesn’t hurt but it’s so annoying. My jaw has been tight and hard to open fully ever since I got the rubber bands. I just wanted to know why my jaw is popping, is it because of my jaw moving because of the rubber bands? Or do I have TMJ? I also haven’t chewed anything because I’m afraid it will worsen it. So I’m eating all soft foods currently. Let me know please, thank you.

• Temporary popping and/or clicking is a common report with patients who are wearing elastics. Remember that rubber bands only move teeth, not jaws. They do however pull on your jaws and can temporarily make your joints pop. After you stop using the rubber bands you should find that your popping and clicking will return to pre-treatment levels.

3. Hanh Nguyen says:

Dear Dr Jorgensen
    Reading your article is very interesting. I am having popping sound when I chewing or open the mouth too. I could not eat any hard food anymore. Now my problem is getting worse. My jaw is pain when I chewing. I wonder how can it can be fixed. I live in California. I am wearing brace formy grinding teeth. But if don’t wear it at night time, it is hard for me to open my mouth in the next morning. Could you give me an advice. I appreciate your help. Good bless you.

• As I mentioned in the article, braces cannot fix popping or clicking joints. Neither can braces solve clenching or grinding. If you are having problems with your joints or jaws, you should find and oral surgeon who treats joint issues as you won’t get much relief from braces alone.

4. Angeal says:

Hello Dr. Jorgensen,
    I just got my braces taken off on Tues (10/6/15) after having them on for 13 months. I got braces do to crowding and just wanting my teeth straight – never had any problems with my teeth except for the cosmetic side. The day of taking them off I told my ortho that I noticed jaw popping that I didn’t realized before and he just said that’ll go away in time. He never checked my jaw to see if anything was off. So I continued with the removal thinking everything would be fine. Everyday after (it’s now Friday 10/9/15) I have notice the popping is a lot worse than I realized – I notice it more with talking, chewing & really bad when I open my mouth wide (no pain, but pressure on both sides where the jaw connects. I started to feel too that breathing out of my nose feels harder to do. Is this all normal for right after the braces are removed? I feel like the braces shouldn’t have created TMJ since I’ve never had it before. Will this go away on its own or should the braces have been kept on longer? I’m having anxiety about this b/c I feel that the braces came off too soon. Please help!!

• About 50% of the females I examine have a pop or a click before, during, or after treatment. Some start with one and it goes away. Some get one in treatment but then lose it. Some never have one and then get one later. The take-home message is that the straightness of your teeth and popping sounds in your joints are seldom related. You should only worry if you’re in pain.

5. Ashley Carpenter says:

Hi! Just a few weeks ago I started experiencing jaw pain all around and behind my ears. The pain makes my teeth feel like they can’t comfortably line up right. I am experiencing stress. But is there anything I can do? My jaw also pops when in open it sometimes as well. Desperate for help :(

• It sounds like your jaw pain is related to the recent stress in your life. The jaw popping is also related to that. You should see if your orthodontist or dentist can make you a night guard to get you through until your stress is reduced.

6. Angela says:

Hello Dr. Jorgensen,
    I saw my dentist yesterday about advice on what to do to help with the popping. To say the least I was having the annoying popping that was getting worse, but didn’t have any pain. After I saw him yesterday he pressed on my jaw really hard & asked me to open/close. Later that day into today I’ve been having a lot of pressure, mild pain in that area & 99 fever. I wasn’t able to sleep last night due to the constant light sound firework popping in my ears when I laid on my back (he recommend I stop sleeping on my side). I was wondering if he made things worse? He said my TMJ will only get worse and not better. I found out a year ago and mentioned the popping (I saw him a 1.5 months after I got the braces for a cleaning. I’m not sure why I didn’t notice it after that for the whole year I was in braces. Could it be that I just got used to it? Back then I remember it would only pop if I opened my mouth really wide. Maybe that’s why I didn’t notice it after b/c I never really had to open my mouth really wide. From all the reading online there looks like there’s no hope. I’m only 30

• I’m not a joint specialist, but I doubt your dentist could have caused problems just doing an exam. If you are having persistent problems, I would recommend that you find an oral surgeon who specializes in joints and have an evalutation

7. Terri says:

My son is experiencing this, he is currently wearing braces and this is something that never happened prior to the braces. He wore a Herbst appliance for 10 months and within a couple of months of that coming off this started. The Herbst appliance, I believe does move the jaw. I can’t help but wonder if that didn’t start this problem. Do you have any insight into the Herbst appliance? Thank you for your time.

• Although the Herbst can move the jaw while it is in place, the effects are temporary and the majority of the benefit is gained by tooth movement alone. In my experience with functional appliances, any joint noises that appeared with the Herbst should revert after it is removed.

8. Sarah says:

I was wondering I had braces for a little over a year and notice popping during treatment. I was advised to wear rubber bands and didn’t wear them all the time as directed. Every time I went in for my follow ups my ortho said he was impressed with how fast my teeth were moving in and I just continued to do what I was doing. I got my braces off early b/c my ortho said that my bite was great, teeth lined up and straight. Now that the braces have been off I’m noticing more jaw popping more and my mouth won’t doesn’t want to open as wide. Is this because I didn’t wear my rubber bands all the time? The popping I had during treatment started before the rubber bands.

• There is no scientific link between correcting an overbite (with elastics or otherwise) and the presence of joint sounds. 50% of American women have joint noises and 25% of American men… with or without orthodontic treatment. I don’t think your rubber bands caused this.

• Sarah says:

I just wanted to make sure I understand your response. Even though I didn’t wear my elastics as recommended by my ortho that wouldn’t have an effect on my popping/jaw problems? If I would have worn them would it had made the popping go away or would they still have been there?

• Joint sounds can be present before, during, or after treatment in normal patients. The presence of braces and the use of elastics can make these noises appear or disappear unpredictably. In my experience, if you didn’t have joint symptoms before treatment, you typically will not have them afterwards no matter what kind of treatment you received.