What Is a Frenectomy and When Is It Necessary?

Posted by Dr. Jorgensen on June 1st, 2011

customer service represenatative beautiful smiling on phoneOrthodontic treatment involves more than just putting braces on your teeth. The teeth are just one part of your smile. Sometimes your orthodontist will recommend other procedures to help make your results the best possible. One such procedure is a frenectomy.

Successful orthodontic treatment creates a smile that is attractive, healthy, and stable. Achieving a stable result requires that your orthodontist consider the size and shape of the teeth, the position of the teeth in the bone, the pressure from the lips and tongue, and the condition of the surrounding soft tissues. Thick gums can affect the position of the teeth before, during, and after treatment. One of the most common conditions related to the gum tissues is a space created by a thick band of tissue lying between the upper front teeth known as the “frenum.” The procedure used to remove this tissue is known as a “frenectomy.”

You will find the frenum connecting the inside of the upper lip to the gum tissue between the roots of the upper front teeth. Normally the frenum blends into the gum tissue well above the level of the teeth. In some cases however, it extends between the front ones and appears to push them apart creating a space. In most cases however, the frenum was present when the permanent incisors came into the mouth forcing them to come in spread apart. Not only can this tissue prevent the front teeth from coming into the mouth next to each other, it can also push them apart after orthodontic treatment. Dentists perform frenectomies to keep this from happening.

There is some controversy about the best time to remove this tissue. Sadly, merely clipping the frenum after the permanent incisors have come in will not make them to go back together on their own. A “standalone” frenectomy is only effective at closing a space if it is performed before the teeth have come in (making it essentially a preventive measure). If your dentist or orthodontist notices that your child’s frenum is too long before the permanent teeth poke through, removing the extra tissue may allow them come in next to each other.

If there is already a space between the teeth, the best time to do the frenectomy is after your orthodontist has closed the space with braces. This is most effective for two reasons. First, if the teeth are brought together and the frenum reevaluated, it may be discovered that the tissue is not actually pushing the teeth apart at all and that the procedure may not be necessary. Second, if a frenectomy is deemed necessary after the space is closed, it is best to have the teeth in their desired positions while the tissue is healing. Scar tissue that forms between the teeth as a result of the surgery might actually make the space harder to close during treatment and force the teeth back apart afterwards. Therefore the best time to do a frenectomy is after the space has been closed.

One added precaution that should be taken after closing a space and performing a frenectomy is stabilizing the incisors with a bonded retainer for at least a year. This not only holds the space closed in the short-term, but it also gives the bone and gums around the teeth a chance to adapt to their new position so they’ll be more stable in the long-term.

What Is a Frenectomy and When Is It Necessary?

181 comments so far in response to “What Is a Frenectomy and When Is It Necessary?”

1. Lea says:

Hi, my daughter is schedule for frenectomy this saturday, I want to show you her picture so that you can advise me if it is necessary, she’s only 6 years old…thanks

2. meliza says:

Since my baby was born i notice his gum connected tothe lip and i thought it wasnt issue.. should my baby needs the surgery at early age? His turning 1 yr ild thiscoming october.. i wonder where and wgen ge needs a surgery

• Your baby is way too young to worry about at this age. Please relax and have him checked by a children’s dentist at about age 2. I would also recommend an exam by an orthodontist at age 7.

3. Kay says:

Hello
    My periodontist recommend that i do a Libial frenectomy on my lower….i have receding gum that expose my root. I will also be doing a gum graft. Do you think the Libial Frenectomy is neccasary? I don’t want to do a procedure that will not help my gums from receding more.
    Thank you.

• A periodontist is an expert with the gums. Frenum pulls as you’ve described can cause recession and should be shortened surgically. My recommendation is to follow the diagnosis and treatment plan of your periodontist

4. Allison says:

Hey I have braces and they are costly. I was wondering since the braces have done closed my gap if I can go ahead and consult with a oral surgeon about my liberal frenulum causing the gap in between my front teeth BC I can’t pay for the braces anymore but I don’t want to take them off and I get another gap.

• If your gap is closed and you are happy, you could end the orthodontic treatment and have the frenectomy. Please make sure that your orthodontist glues a retainer behind the teeth where the gap was closed however. That is the only way to make sure it doesn’t open back up, even with the frenectomy.

5. Saundra says:

My daughter is 5. Her baby teeth are in still in. Her two upper front teeth are way apart. You can see the tissue between them. Should I have her checked now to see if she needs it removed before she loses her baby teeth.

• Your daughter is very young for a procedure like that. I would have her seen by your family dentist just to make sure there is nothing actually wrong, but what you’ve described sounds normal to me.

6. Michelina L. Giuliano says:

Good afternoon, my name is Michelina Giuliano, I have been in braces when I was younger for 5 yrs. but then the overbite came back again, I don’t know if the reason for that is because of the muscle under my tongue, my mom didn’t want me to have the surgery, but my dad did, so I never had the surgery done. Now, I have been in braces since the year 2010 and the orthodontist says they will come off in the next four months or so, but I am concerned being that the tissue is still there under my tongue, would you recommend me doing the surgery before the braces come off, or according to the orthodontist he said he will make the retainer to work around the muscle under my tongue, but would that even be possible? Thank you so much, Michelina Giuliano

• Hello Michelina. I cannot diagnose or treatment plan specific patients over the Internet. I am only licensed in New Mexico. What your orthodontist is telling you sounds reasonable to me. I’m sure he wouldn’t recommend a procedure that is not necessary.