Could My New Braces Be Making My Teeth Worse?

Posted by Dr. Jorgensen on July 26th, 2011

WorriedI just got my new braces on last week. Funny, but I think they’re making my teeth worse! I have a gap where there wasn’t one before and one of my lower front teeth is now more crooked that when I started. Is this normal?

Straightening the teeth is a dynamic process; your teeth will be changing throughout treatment. During the process of alignment, especially during the first 6 months, you may notice that things look worse before they look better. Here’s why:

Although your teeth are crowded and crooked when you first come in to see Dr. Jorgensen, they have usually drifted into a position where they are stable and functional. Your body is amazing at adapting to problems that exist. If you have a lower jaw that is smaller than the upper for example, the top teeth will be pushed back by your upper lip and your lower teeth will be pushed forward by your tongue. We call these “dental compensations.” If the teeth are crowded, the crowding is usually spread evenly among the teeth.

We approach straightening teeth in stages. The first stage is to unravel any crowding. If you have teeth removed, you may notice improvements in the appearance of your teeth right away. If you do not, you may actually notice changes in the alignment of your teeth that temporary make them look worse. You could get spaces where there were none before. You may notice that teeth that were once straight now overlap. You might even notice that although most teeth look straighter, one or two may actually get more crooked! This is because the braces will take all of the crowding that was spread out over several teeth and consolidate it in one or two areas. This is completely normal and necessary.

In the process of removing dental compensations, you will notice changes in the relationship of the upper and lower teeth. If you have a lower jaw that is smaller than your upper, aligning the teeth may actually create more of an overbite. If your upper jaw is smaller than your lower, aligning the arches may create an underbite where there wasn’t one before. These changes in your bite are normal and should be anticipated.

After the crowding is resolved and the teeth are aligned, the next step is to level the arches. If you start with a deep bite, the goal is to “open the bite” so that your lower teeth are more visible. If you start with an open bite, we’ll want to deepen the bite so the top teeth overlap the bottom ones. About the same time we address the vertical relationship, we also work to make the width of the upper and lower arches match (coordinate the arches).

The final stage of treatment is to optimize the over bite or under bite. This may be done with rubber bands, functional appliances, extractions, or orthognathic surgery. Because the teeth are usually straight by this stage, this is the time that is the most frustrating for patients. This is when we start hearing “When will I be getting my braces off?”

Understanding this sequence will give you an idea of where you are in your treatment. Knowing that there will be transitional changes along the way that may actually make things look worse before they look better will make you more confident that your treatment is going as expected.

208 comments so far in response to “Could My New Braces Be Making My Teeth Worse?”

1. Marie says:

Four months ago, my ortho installed these braces. Before, i dont have any gap in my lower front teeth. Is this normal? Thank you.

2. Jade Scott says:

Hi, I have had braces for 6 months now ,my upper teeth have straightened out fine and are not as crowded ,but originally my lower right canine and the surrounding teeth were the problem,the orthodontist originally said that he would use interproximal reduction to get rid of overcrowding ,however my lower teeth have become worse and worse and have pushed my lower front teeth in different directions making them overlap each other,however the orthodontist has left and the new orthodontist says there are no notes on what the orginal plan was and when i explained all this ,she said she disagrees and wants to take out the teeth that have overlapped,i however do not want to have the teeth out,my teeth are now worse than when this began and i completely wish i hadn’t had it done in the first place,what do you recommend?

• If your first orthodontist is gone, you only have two choices: 1) be treated by the one who took over, or 2) find another orthodontist in your area who will take over your treatment. Sorry you’re going through this.

3. Natasha says:

I have had braces for seven months now. Whereas I had a mild crossbite, my two front teeth mildly overlapped and the backs didn’t meet, now the back meet and I have a massive overbite. What’s going on?

• I can’t diagnose individual patients, but it common for the “overbite” to increase after initial alignment as the teeth spread out. Hopefully your orthodontist has a plan for correcting it.

4. Alexandra says:

Why are braces creating lots of gaps? I didn’t have any gaps before, though I had one twisted tooth. Is that why I have gaps now and require two springs?

• If teeth are “leaning” instead of straight, uprighting them can temporarily create spaces. Also, moving teeth forward or backward can temporarily create spaces that will eventually be closed.

5. Monty says:

Hi I’ve had my braces for almost two years and I have a gap between my front teeth that has been there since before I got my braces, one of the main reasons I got braces. And it doesn’t seem to be closing in at all and I’m told that im supposed to get my braces off soon, is this gap ever going to be closed? Or am I going to be stuck with my teeth like this??

• You need to have a “pow wow” with your orthodontist and ask him what’s going on. In my office, we address the chief complaint right from the start. Your gap should be closed by now.

6. Darius says:

I’ve had my braces for about 5-6 months. They were removed for about 2 weeks because there was a new orthodontist and they wanted to start my treatment with their work. I just went and got them out back on my teeth on Feb 16, 2016 and now my bite down on my right side is extremely uneven. What is going on? Please provide some type of explanation. Very uncomfortable. Is this normal?

• It sounds like the positioning of the brackets the second time caused some of the teeth to become longer (extruded), and that is the reason they are uneven. Be sure to point this out to your orthodontist at your next visit.

• kelsie says:

I’ve had my braces for a year now, and I had an appointment today. They redid my 2 middle bottom teeth brackets and added some more on my other teeth, but one of my middle bottom teeth is starting to move out towards my lip, and it hurts. it was never like this before, and I don’t know what to do, because my bottom teeth don’t look straight anymore.

7. Lokesh says:

I just got my braces two days ago and my lower left side of my tooth was perfect but just after day my I developed a crossbite is that normal?

8. James says:

I’ve had braces on for less than a week, now i cannot open my mouth as wide as before and i need to use a little effort to open my mouth, i could feel pressure on my jaw aswell when i yawn. is this normal?

• I cannot imagine how having braces on only a weak could change your jaw function that radically in only a week. I don’t think it is because of tooth movement. I suspect that you may be clenching or grinding because of the new braces and that you’re getting muscle spasms or something like that causing the reduced mobility. I would return to your local doctor for evaluation if you don’t return to normal within a week or two.

9. Telisha says:

I’m 33 and have had braces for 3 weeks now. My top teeth have always been relatively straight because I had two back teeth pulled out as a child. The bottom teeth are crowded. My canines poke out sideways in the front, and on the left all of the back teeth are leaned inward. I understand that my teeth will move around, and they definitely are. My question is why am I not getting two teeth extracted on the bottom yet? My orthodontist didn’t put brackets on the teeth right behind my crooked canines and said they would eventually come out, but that he needed to see how my teeth were moving. Because of this my teeth have nowhere to go but up and out. My two left front teeth have been in pain the whole time and now protrude much more then they used to. What could be the reason behind not extracting those teeth yet to make room?

• If you have a small lower jaw, it is ideal if you keep all of your bottom teeth. Your orthodontist my be trying to see if he can keep your teeth and simplify your treatment. Removing lower teeth makes correcting an overbite much more difficult.

10. Mario says:

Hey doc, thanks a lot for taking the time to respnd.

I’ve been wearing braces for 18 months now and the dentist removed my brackets off my upper teeth 3 months ago, althouhg I still have a bad overbite. Is it possible to still fix my overbite even though I’m only wearing braces on my lower teeth now?

Another thing that worries me is that he moved the left side of my lower teeth very “inwards”, making my overbite even worse and my face looks more asymmetrical. Is it possible to move the left side of my teeth “outwards” again with just braces?

Thanks!! and sorry if my english was kind of bad.

• I have no idea why an orthodontist would remove braces from only one arch, especially if there is still overbite present. This does not make sense. Correcting an overbite without upper and lower braces is nearly impossible. Even if you were having jaw surgery to lengthen the lower jaw, the surgeon would need braces in the top. You need to ask your orthodontist what is going on, because what you are describing is not logical.