At What Age Do Baby Teeth Normally Fall Out?

Posted by Dr. Jorgensen on June 11th, 2012

Many parents worry that their children’s teeth are not falling out on time. At what age should the first baby tooth be lost? When should the last one fall out? Is there a predictable order?

The first baby teeth (also known as primary teeth) to come in are usually the lower central incisors around the age of six months. The last baby teeth to show up are the upper second primary molars, and they appear between 30 and 36 months of age. There are normally 20 baby teeth by the time a child reaches age 3. These primary teeth then remain unchanged for about three years.

Not much happens to the baby teeth between 3 and 6 years of age. Between 6 and 8 years however, there is a flurry of activity as kids normally lose eight primary teeth in rapid succession. Between age 8 and age 10 there is another two-year pause that catches many parents by surprise since they have become accustomed to teeth being lost left and right. The last twelve primary teeth are then lost between ages 10 and 13. The following chart summarizes primary tooth loss:

Ages 3-6: Not much happens
Ages 6-8: First eight baby teeth lost
Ages 8-10: Not much happens
Ages 10-13: Last twelve baby teeth lost

Although there are always exceptions, there is a basic sequence for the loss of the baby teeth. The upper and lower front four teeth are usually lost between the ages of 6 and 8. This typically begins around age 6 with the lower central incisors followed by the upper central incisors. The upper and lower lateral incisors then come in between 7 and 8. So by age 8, children should have all eight of their permanent incisors in place.

After a two-year break (about age 10), the next four baby teeth to be lost are the lower canines and upper first molars. These are typically followed around age 11 by the lower first molars. The lower second molars tend to be lost about the same time as the upper canines and second molars. This usually happens in the 12th year. In summary, here is the order in which baby teeth are normally lost:

Age 6: Lower and upper central incisors
Age 7: Lower and upper lateral incisors
Age 10: Lower canines and upper first molars
Age 11: Lower first molars
Age 12: Upper and lower second molars and upper canines

These are merely averages however. Some kids lose teeth faster than this. Others lose them slower. It is not unusual to see a 10-year-old with no baby teeth remaining, nor is it surprising to see a 14-year-old still hanging on to a few. The actual ages are not as important as the pattern.

If baby teeth are not lost in the right order, or if a tooth is lost and more than three months go by without a permanent replacement coming in, there may a problem. Some possibilities include missing teeth, crowding, problems with the tooth loss mechanism, or the underlying tooth is just crooked and it is not pushing out the one above it. These are all conditions that your orthodontist will look for during your child’s orthodontic evaluation. Your doctor can tell you if everything is normal or if interceptive procedures are warranted (i.e. having your dentist help move things along by removing some primary teeth). Set up an orthodontic appointment for your child around age 7 so that you can benefit from the expertise of a doctor who specializes in dental growth and development. Even if there is nothing wrong, it is always a comfort having that peace of mind.

314 comments so far in response to “At What Age Do Baby Teeth Normally Fall Out?”

1. Ashlea says:

I just turned 15 not too long ago and I still have *fourteen* baby teeth. I lost the first four at 7/8/9 within 6 months of each other and the other two when I was 11 or 12. All my wisdoms have grown in but my babies won’t fall out! I can feel lumps above all of my teeth besides the wisdoms, top four and bottom two, which are the ones I have lost.

One of my top teeth came loose near the end of last year but it actually *stopped* being loose after a few days. I can see the tip of my adult tooth over the top of it and the lump is really big. My two front teeth are pressed really hard together and the ones beside them grew twisted– the inside is overlapping the front and the outer side is behind my baby teeth.

What should I do? I’m worried if they get pulled out they won’t grow back.

• Sometimes patients just have issues losing teeth. The normal tooth loss mechanisms may have problems and you may need to have your dentist remove some to get you back on track. Visit a qualified orthodontist for a treatment plan and he’ll let your primary care dentist know which teeth should be removed and when.

2. Marie says:

Hello: My son lost his upper right lateral incisor a little over a year ago, but no sign of the permanent tooth. He turned 8 a few months back, is it normal for a permanent tooth to take this long to erupt? Thanks for your help.

• Such a delay is not normal. My best guess is that there is not enough room. The best thing to do is get in to see a qualified orthodontist who can take a radiograph and answer your question for sure.

3. Pauline says:

I’m 27 yrs and the only teeth to ever fall out for me where the 8 baby incisors and nothing else. My canines and molers are all my baby teeth. Is the something wrong with me. All my teeth look normal dentists have never found anything wrong with my teeth, how often does this occur.

• This is very uncommon Pauline. Is it possible that you are missing a dozen permanent teeth. I have seen that before, but it is extremely uncommon. A simple way to know would be to visit and orthodontist and have an x-ray taken. That would answer a lot of questions. As I’ve mentioned in my articles, most primary teeth are gone by age 13. You’re way beyond that.

4. Hersh says:

I am only ten and I am losing my second molars. Is this normal?

• Probably! Averages mean that most lose their second molars at 11, but some loose them at 9 or 10 and others ate 12 or 13. An orthodontist can tell from an x-ray if you’re developing normally. Good luck!

5. sohail says:

hi im 19 years old …
    1 milk theeth was left n it is falling now will new theeth will come??

6. vidhya says:

My daughter is just 4yr old n she is having cavaty in her molars n to do root canal or not I m a bit confused as she is too small for all this.

• Preserving the baby teeth until the permanent ones are ready to take their place is important. If your daughter already has decay severe enough to require a root canal, it must be fairly serious. This is actually a question for a children’s dentist, but I would advise you to follow their advice if these problems exist as treatment now may prevent more serious orthodontic problems later.

7. donna says:

my 7yr son lost 2 teeth on the bottom in quick sucession but they have come out without being loose or wobbly so is it normal to happen

8. Jade Sowole says:

I am eleven and I have lost my top moller teeth and only have one left. Is this normal?