At What Age Do Baby Teeth Normally Fall Out?

Posted by Dr. Jorgensen on June 11th, 2012

Pulled a Baby ToothMany parents worry that their children’s teeth are not falling out on time. At what age should the first baby tooth be lost? When should the last one fall out? Is there a predictable order?

The first baby teeth (also known as primary teeth) to come in are usually the lower central incisors around the age of six months. The last baby teeth to show up are the upper second primary molars, and they appear between 30 and 36 months of age. There are normally 20 baby teeth by the time a child reaches age 3. These primary teeth then remain unchanged for about three years.

primary teeth eruption chartNot much happens to the baby teeth between 3 and 6 years of age. Between 6 and 8 years however, there is a flurry of activity as kids normally lose eight primary teeth in rapid succession. Between age 8 and age 10 there is another two-year pause that catches many parents by surprise since they have become accustomed to teeth being lost left and right. The last twelve primary teeth are then lost between ages 10 and 13. The following chart summarizes primary tooth loss:

Ages 3-6: Not much happens
Ages 6-8: First eight baby teeth lost
Ages 8-10: Not much happens
Ages 10-13: Last twelve baby teeth lost

Although there are always exceptions, there is a basic sequence for the loss of the baby teeth. The upper and lower front four teeth are usually lost between the ages of 6 and 8. This typically begins around age 6 with the lower central incisors followed by the upper central incisors. The upper and lower lateral incisors then come in between 7 and 8. So by age 8, children should have all eight of their permanent incisors in place.

After a two-year break (about age 10), the next four baby teeth to be lost are the lower canines and upper first molars. These are typically followed around age 11 by the lower first molars. The lower second molars tend to be lost about the same time as the upper canines and second molars. This usually happens in the 12th year. In summary, here is the order in which baby teeth are normally lost:

Age 6: Lower and upper central incisors
Age 7: Lower and upper lateral incisors
Age 10: Lower canines and upper first molars
Age 11: Lower first molars
Age 12: Upper and lower second molars and upper canines

These are merely averages however. Some kids lose teeth faster than this. Others lose them slower. It is not unusual to see a 10-year-old with no baby teeth remaining, nor is it surprising to see a 14-year-old still hanging on to a few. The actual ages are not as important as the pattern.

If baby teeth are not lost in the right order, or if a tooth is lost and more than three months go by without a permanent replacement coming in, there may a problem. Some possibilities include missing teeth, crowding, problems with the tooth loss mechanism, or the underlying tooth is just crooked and it is not pushing out the one above it. These are all conditions that your orthodontist will look for during your child’s orthodontic evaluation. Your doctor can tell you if everything is normal or if interceptive procedures are warranted (i.e. having your dentist help move things along by removing some primary teeth). Set up an orthodontic appointment for your child around age 7 so that you can benefit from the expertise of a doctor who specializes in dental growth and development. Even if there is nothing wrong, it is always a comfort having that peace of mind.

392 comments so far in response to “At What Age Do Baby Teeth Normally Fall Out?”

1. Annie says:

I’m 14 and I still have two baby teeth and they are not wobbly at all, is this a major problem?

2. Kyla says:

may I ask where the Lower canines is?

• The canines are the third tooth from the middle. Find where the two front teeth meet. That is the midline. Count three teeth over from that midline in either direction and those teeth are the canines. They are usually pointy, sharp teeth.

3. mrs julie jones says:

Hi, my daughter has just showed me with some distress that her upper first molar and canine tooth next to it are very loose and have bled a little. I’m sure she has been wobbling them! They both seem to be on their way out. My worry is her new dentist was a little concerned regarding decay only several days ago and is seeing her in a couple of weeks for several small fillings/coatings. My previous dentist always discussed diet in relation to good oral health but always maintained she didn’t need any treatment.

My huge concern is whether these teeth are likely to be her second (adult teeth) and am petrified she might be left with a gap or a false tooth! Is this likely do you think? Or do you think this is probably natural tooth loss of the first teeth and they will be replaced? If you feel these may be her second teeth, what can I do to help her hang on to them??

Incidentally I consider the children to take a good healthy diet and do have a good dental care routine in place. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

• Mrs. Jones, the only way to tell which teeth your daughter has is to have a radiograph taken. Orthodontists are experts at evaluating dental growth and development. The AAO recommends that all children be seen at age 7. Sounds like your daughter could benefit from a visit to the orthodontist. He can tell you which teeth are baby teeth and which are permanent.

4. Maddie says:

My top left 1st molar Is not very wobbly but I can feel the adult molar just above it, is that normal? I just turned 11.

5. Emily says:

I lost my first tooth at age 5
    I lost my last tooth at age 10
    I got my “12 year” molars at age 10
    My dad got his wisdom teeth pulled and my mom never got hers at all. I’m 13 now and there are no signs of them, do you think I’ll get them? If so, when?

6. Shennyce says:

I am 16 and still have to lose like 3/4 baby teeth. Is this a problem?

• Still having baby teeth at 16 is not normal. It could mean you have an impacted tooth, a missing tooth, or severe crowding problems. The only way to know is see an orthodontist for an evaluation.