At What Age Do Baby Teeth Normally Fall Out?

Posted by Dr. Jorgensen on June 11th, 2012

Pulled a Baby ToothMany parents worry that their children’s teeth are not falling out on time. At what age should the first baby tooth be lost? When should the last one fall out? Is there a predictable order?

The first baby teeth (also known as primary teeth) to come in are usually the lower central incisors around the age of six months. The last baby teeth to show up are the upper second primary molars, and they appear between 30 and 36 months of age. There are normally 20 baby teeth by the time a child reaches age 3. These primary teeth then remain unchanged for about three years.

primary teeth eruption chartNot much happens to the baby teeth between 3 and 6 years of age. Between 6 and 8 years however, there is a flurry of activity as kids normally lose eight primary teeth in rapid succession. Between age 8 and age 10 there is another two-year pause that catches many parents by surprise since they have become accustomed to teeth being lost left and right. The last twelve primary teeth are then lost between ages 10 and 13. The following chart summarizes primary tooth loss:

Ages 3-6: Not much happens
Ages 6-8: First eight baby teeth lost
Ages 8-10: Not much happens
Ages 10-13: Last twelve baby teeth lost

Although there are always exceptions, there is a basic sequence for the loss of the baby teeth. The upper and lower front four teeth are usually lost between the ages of 6 and 8. This typically begins around age 6 with the lower central incisors followed by the upper central incisors. The upper and lower lateral incisors then come in between 7 and 8. So by age 8, children should have all eight of their permanent incisors in place.

After a two-year break (about age 10), the next four baby teeth to be lost are the lower canines and upper first molars. These are typically followed around age 11 by the lower first molars. The lower second molars tend to be lost about the same time as the upper canines and second molars. This usually happens in the 12th year. In summary, here is the order in which baby teeth are normally lost:

Age 6: Lower and upper central incisors
Age 7: Lower and upper lateral incisors
Age 10: Lower canines and upper first molars
Age 11: Lower first molars
Age 12: Upper and lower second molars and upper canines

These are merely averages however. Some kids lose teeth faster than this. Others lose them slower. It is not unusual to see a 10-year-old with no baby teeth remaining, nor is it surprising to see a 14-year-old still hanging on to a few. The actual ages are not as important as the pattern.

If baby teeth are not lost in the right order, or if a tooth is lost and more than three months go by without a permanent replacement coming in, there may a problem. Some possibilities include missing teeth, crowding, problems with the tooth loss mechanism, or the underlying tooth is just crooked and it is not pushing out the one above it. These are all conditions that your orthodontist will look for during your child’s orthodontic evaluation. Your doctor can tell you if everything is normal or if interceptive procedures are warranted (i.e. having your dentist help move things along by removing some primary teeth). Set up an orthodontic appointment for your child around age 7 so that you can benefit from the expertise of a doctor who specializes in dental growth and development. Even if there is nothing wrong, it is always a comfort having that peace of mind.

1,102 comments so far in response to “At What Age Do Baby Teeth Normally Fall Out?”

1. Hi peeps says:

Recently i lost a tooth i looked at the spot and saw this little white thing. It looked like part of my tooth! I knew it was not a tooth comoing in because i had just lost it. Did part of my tooth not come out?

• Sometimes the roots of baby teeth get very thin and can fracture leaving fragments behind. This is normal and usually the fragments work their way out. If they don’t, have your dentist pluck them out for you

2. trun1 says:

I’m the grand age of 46 and I still have 2 milk teeth, I lost one about 5 years ago and the other two are just about holding in there. I, like a minority % of people, was born with 3 adult teeth missing. Go milk teeth! Unfortunately I’m getting the odd twinge now and my dentist thinks they’ll last another 2 or more years

• It is not uncommon to hang on to baby teeth if the underlying permanent ones are missing. Your “milk teeth” have given you four decades of extra serve “above and beyond” the call of duty!

3. Anonymous says:

Hi. I just turned 11 in Jan 2018 and I noticed I loose teeth very fast. I lost 6 since then. The 4 of them are my cuspid teeth ( 2 upper 2 lower ), or my vampire teeth and the other 1 is the fat ones behind the cuspid and the last one was a second molar upper teeth. When a week has gone by, I noticed I don’t feel any marks of a tooth coming out. I’m worried those were my adult teeth. I just wanted to tell you I have a bad habit of not brushing my teeth mostly every night. I rarely do at night. But it’s normal every morning. I don’t mouth wash, or floss. I have an overbite so I was suppose to have braces but they told me I have a mixture of adult and baby teeth. I’m still concerned on those being my adult teeth. Please help ASAP. Thanks

• Most 11-year-olds lose a lot of teeth, so what you’re describing is probably normal. I would recommend that you improve your brushing however. You won’t be sorry as it will keep your adult teeth healthy and beautiful the rest of your life.

4. Timan Wainaina says:

Hey Doc,

how long does it take to extract milk teeth?
    I’m a bit worried that my son will not let the dentist remove his teeth without a big fight.

5. Charmaine Porteous says:

My son is 12 years going on 13 and the lateral incisor has not changed into a permanent tooth.

An x-ray showed that the permanent tooth is there but just isn’t coming down.

Is this cause for concern? Will it eventually come down on it’s own?

Worried parent.

• Lateral incisors typically come in around age 7, so your son is 5 years behind schedule. You are right to be questioning what is happening. I would guess that there is not enough room for the permanent tooth to come in, so it has not pushed out the baby one. The most appropriate thing for you to do is to have him evaluated by an orthodontist who can help you devise a plan for helping that lateral come in correctly. Good luck!

6. : P says:

My teeth are not falling out in the order shown above or even in a pattern. They just fall out random! Is this normal?

• The pattern I referred to in my article are based upon averages. Everyone is different, but if you are completely different in the sequence of your tooth loss, there may be something going on. It may be time for a consultation with an orthodontist in your area. They are experts in growth and development.

7. Andrew says:

Hi I’m 11 and I’ve lost all my bottom teeth and I’ve lost 15 teeth and I feel like I’m not going to loose some of the top teeth I’ve only lost 5 on the top I’ve lost 10 on the bottom is that a problem other then the fact that I’ve lost 6 teeth this year

• The average 11 year old has somewhere between 4 and 8 baby teeth remaining. Everyone is different. The best way to know if you are on track is to be evaluated by a local orthodontist who is an expert on dental growth and development.

8. Anonymous says:

I am 12 years of age and my cuspid tooth just started feeling a bit loose today is this normal or should I be worried?

• If you are 12-years-old and you have a loose canine, it is probably a baby tooth. Primary canines are usually lost around your age, so you are probably normal. The only way to know for sure is to be examined by an orthodontist who can evaluate you in person and evaluate an x-ray with you in his chair. Good luck!