When Do I Get My Braces Off?

Posted by Dr. Jorgensen on May 19th, 2013

Woman ShruggingThe most common question I get as an orthodontist is “When do I get my braces off?” Although treatment is different for every patient, there are some basic objectives and steps of treatment that are similar for the majority of patients. If you have braces and want to know how you are progressing, read on…

In my office there are three distinct phases of treatment through which every patient must pass. Although their order may be switched or there may be some overlap between them, the three phases include resolving the crowding/spacing, aligning the teeth, and correcting the bite.

In the first phase, crowding is corrected by expanding the arches or by removing teeth. Teeth cannot be aligned if there is not enough room. The decision to expand or extract is determined by a number of variables including the size of the teeth and jaws, the amount of bone and gum tissue supporting the roots, and the profile. The first step is to create room so that the teeth can be aligned. If a patient has extra space at the start of treatment, that space must be closed during this step.

Once there is room, the second step is to align or straighten the teeth. Aligning the arches is accomplished using wires, elastic chains, springs, and other auxiliaries (“gadgets”) that rotate, tip, and torque the teeth into their desired positions. Another common step in the alignment process is “repositioning” individual brackets. Sometimes brackets cannot be put in the right place on the first day because of the bite, the alignment, or the shape of the teeth. After the teeth have been partially aligned however, the brackets can then be moved to better positions.

The third phase of treatment is correcting the bite or making the upper teeth fit the lower ones. This must be accomplished in all three planes of space, front to back (overbite or underbite), side to side (crossbites), as well as top to bottom (open bite or deep bite). Making the upper match the lower is accomplished with wires, rubber bands, springs, or surgery. When the bite is right, the backs of the top teeth rest lightly on the fronts of the bottom ones. (There are also some specific functional relationships that must be “just so” at the end of treatment, but the specifics are beyond the scope of this article.)

The “When do I get my braces off?” question usually arises during the third or “bite phase” of treatment. By that time the crowded, crooked teeth are gone and the patient is generally happy with how things look. Admittedly, the first half of treatment is more exciting than the last half. It is during the final phase however where the bite is corrected so that the results will be healthy and stable.

If you are wondering if you’re getting close to getting your braces off, compare what you see in your mouth with this list:

1. Are the teeth straight?
2. Are the spaces between the teeth closed completely?
3. Do the upper front teeth overlap the lower front teeth appropriately (not too deep, but no visible space between them)?
4. Are the outer cusps of the upper teeth resting on the outside of the corresponding ones in the lower?
5. Is the overbite or underbite corrected?

If it is obvious that your teeth are still crooked, have spaces between them, or you still have a deep bite or overbite, you probably still have some time remaining. If your treatment time is longer that was originally estimated, check out another article I wrote about that at http://www.gregjorgensen.com/blog/2012/03/three-reasons-your-orthodontic-braces-are-still-on/. If you have specific questions about your smile, ask your orthodontist to explain what objectives remain in your treatment. If he or she is conscientious, your braces will come off when the best result is achieved and not before. Good luck!

142 comments so far in response to “When Do I Get My Braces Off?”

1. Tara says:

Dear Dr. Jorgensen, this article is really helpful. I have had braces on now for 8 months (the estimated time for the treatment given to me at the outset by my orthodontist was 6-9 mts). We had to correct the occlusion (I had an underbite) and that has been corrected, and some crowding and straightening particularly of the upper front teeth and there has also been a huge improvement with that.
    However, with only a month and half remaining, I keep asking my orthodontist, what we are working on next. I am not quite happy with my 4 front, upper teeth. ALthough there has been a huge change, I feel that my upper front teeth tend to point towards the left, and also the teeth on the left tend to be slightly higher up than those on the right side. Moreover, the 2 upper front teeth in the center are not quite straight but at a 160 degree angle (if I can use that as a description). I have shown this to my orthodontist on a photo, and he argues that everything looks fine and it is the angle of the photo, and the teeth have to form an arch. No matter what angle I take the photo from, it always looks the same. Moreover, my smile is not symetrical because the teeth on the left are slightly higher. He disagreed and then called me over the weekend, telling me to bring him a panoramic x-ray so that he could see what I am trying to tell him. I am a bit apprehensive because there is less than 2 months left before I leave the country and I would like to ensure that my treatment is indeed finished when I take off my braces. He has taken numerous photos throughout the treatment which I have not seen till now, nor the imprints we took at the outset. Any suggestions?

• You need to talk reasonably with your orthodontist and express your concerns. You then need to listen to his explanations to determine if the little adjustments that you are describing are even possible with braces alone. If your smile is canted up on one side, that can sometimes be difficult to treat with braces only. If you cannot come to an agreement with him, you need to move on to another doctor. What he is seeing and what you are seeing may be different and it may not be worth arguing over. Remember that you are dealing with the human body. Rarely is perfection achievable. Your teeth may be worn so that they look asymmetrical. Your jaws may be asymmetrical. You may have one of your teeth that won’t move (anykylosis) and could be at the root of the unevenness. If you were my patient and I got to a point where I felt I could not meet your expectations, I’d help you find another doctor where you would be happier.

2. Tony Borja says:

Got my braces put on around September 2012 to close up my gaps and till this day I still have them on. The gap I wanted closed up (by 2 front teeth) has been reopened for the past 2 months. What the heck??

• You need to have a serious “sit down” with your orthodontist and express your concerns. It sounds to me like someone is not paying attention to what is going on here or there is more to the story.

3. Maddie says:

Hi I have had my braces on since some time around fall of 2012 and I have an appointment scheduled for May with my orthodontist. He said that he wants to take my brackets off, but I don’t believe it is because I have finished my treatment. Any ideas why he would want my brackets off?

4. Emily Brown says:

I have had braces since January of 2013, my teeth are straight now, and I have on elastic chains and rubber bands. Is there anyway my doctor could “speed up” the process? my gaps are all closed. Also, my bite seems pretty normal.

5. Erika says:

my dentist says i need to wait two years. But now, my upper teeth is now aligned but not my bottom teeth is not yet fully aligned but my bite is perfectly fine. Is it posible for me to have my upper braces to be taken off?

• It is not a good idea to treat each arch separately. Towards the end of treatment we commonly use elastics from the top to the bottom to align the midlines, close the bite, etc. I wouldn’t take your top ones off if you were my patient. Please be patient and let your doctor finish you right.

6. Courtney miller says:

HI, Uhmm my i have had my braces on sense 2014 of may and i do not have a ortho around here yet bc i have recently moved it has been 4 months that i have not seen a ortho and i do not have insurance yet and i have a chain on top and my two middle teeth are starting to overlap now what do i do if i could take the can off would it stop the pulling of them and stop the overlapping or what?

• You need to see an orthodontist and not treat yourself Courtney. Just removing the chain will also cause the wire to fall out and could cause other adverse side-effects. I advise against doing anything yourself.

7. Cj says:

Hey,

I know I am a newbie with my braces I only had them on for a month now and my ortho said I will only get an adjustment next month. I have a question I can’t find the answer to (my ortho didn’t understand the question or maybe I didn’t understand the answer). I have metal braces on the bottom with steel ties instead of o-rings. I have ceramic on top, but as far as I can tell I have no elastics/steel ties keeping them in place? I don’t have self litigating braces so I am confused as to why there is nothing on my top braces? From a layman’s perspective it looks as if its glued in place? I know its not glue I just don’t know how else to describe the clear “product” that’s covering my braces its not around my brackets its on the bracket.

• There are three methods of ligating or tying in orthodontic wires: 1) rubber o-rings, 2) steel ties, or 3) self-ligating brackets. If you don’t have one of these in place, your upper wire would fall right out. Ask your orthodontist to show you which you have.

8. Hannah says:

Hi, I don’t know if you know anything about this… But my jaw has been cracking. I read about it online and saw that it is TMJ. I’m very concerned because I asked my dentist and she said to just take a break from chewy candy because it’s bad for your jaw. I did stop for a while but it won’t go away, and now I have a very bad habit of cracking it when I’m bored. I do it every day.. I’m worried I’m making it worse. What do you suggest?

• Current studies show that jaw popping occurs in about 25% of U.S. males and about 50% of U.S. females and the vast majority of these patients remain asymptomatic for life (except for the “popping”). Unless you are in pain, do not worry.